Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Fresh Start

Today we attended the State 4H Rabbit and Cavy Show in East Lansing Michigan.  This show was the mark of a fresh start for us:   not only was it the first show of the season but it also was the very first show of the year where Lionheads could be exhibited and compete on the Best 4 Class table for the very first time.  This time around we only entered two rabbits - Edgar, a black tort buck and Midnight Blizzard a Ruby Eyed White buck.  Both rabbits placed well with Midnight Blizzard taking Best of Variety and Edgar taking not only the Best of Variety win but also Best of Breed.  He then went on to the Best 4 Class table as all the BOB winners do in their breeds.  I was very pleased with the quality of the 4-class rabbits on the table.  While Edgar didn't end up taking 4 Class, he came home with great comments and certainly has the potential to succeed later on. 

I was very excited to see that there were more youth getting involved in the French Angoras.  There has been definite growth in this breed over the years and I look forward to watching the owners become breeders and catch the bug as I did. 

I did come home with a gorgeous New Zealand White doe.  Yes, I decided I must get myself involved in the New Zealands once again.  I miss the breed and want to have the opportunity to work with them again.  I plan on staying small with only a breeding pair so when I do have kits it will be limited to my pair.  This doe is very typey - super big, wide, and deep.  I am hoping I will be able to find a nice New Zealand White buck to compliment her for a breeding pair at the next show.  If I am successful I will likely be breeding her and Galaxy, my REW French Angora doe, in March for babies available in mid May-June. 

Hope everyone and their rabbits are staying warm!  I am looking forward to the weather warming up so I can get some nice kits on the ground!  This weather is certainly suitable for angora attire from my French! 

Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment